Monday, October 13, 2008

Zeitgeist: The Movie

(click through and scroll down)


I've been watching this movie in bits and pieces for a couple of months now, mostly through the good influence of Mark and Chris. I've always been convinced that there was more to 9/11 than we were being told, and this documentary puts it squarely in the "false flag for the sake of profit" category along with the RMS Lusitania, Pearl Harbor and the Gulf of Tonkin. There is also a very interesting report on the creation of the Federal Reserve that with the current financial crisis makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end, especially as the movie I posted yesterday about the massive bank fraud that Sen. McCain tried to immunize in the '80's proves to me that this might very well be the kind of thing happening right under our noses, right now. What are we doing? Infusing those failing banks with huge sums of tax payer dollars. Yay...

Oh yeah, and there's no law on the books that says you have to pay income tax. It's actually unconstitutional as a non-apportioned tax. I'm excited about that. I'd rather hand my money to the NYDOT for the roads and bridges, skip the Fed.

Peter Joseph (the writer and director) also argues that aspects of the Christian narrative are related to or extrapolated from ancient religious myths, which makes a lot of sense even from an academic perspective. But the writers are just a little too quick to say that thus Jesus didn't exist and Christianity is a crock. Like so many science and technology valorizing contingencies these days (I mean you Drs. Dennett and Dawkins, and the lesser Bill Maher), Joseph is way too excited about "debunking religion" to actually look meaningfully into the function of myth and religious narrative in human life and history, so he simply demonstrates that religions come from somewhere, are not "factually true" and thinks he has done with it. Overall, I should say that I disagree with the Zeitgeist Movement's perspective on the amorphous and personified force of "religion" in history, and think their position needs to be refined to specific historical institutions in order to be a genuine critique. That being said, the information presented is intriguing, and makes a lot more sense to me than the explanations for war and financial crises handed down by the current administration.

No comments: