Thursday, December 21, 2006

Well, it has been a little while since anything substantive went up on here, and there won't be substantial activity while my family is here (Mom-dukes and Brohan arrive tomorrow at the buttcrack of Belgian dawn--9:30am), so let's call this the seasonal post.

Since last we spoke, I experienced the Christmas market in Leuven and went on a pastry field trip to the capital of Wallonia. There was also an exam, an application and a lot of messing around. Let's take them in chronological order.

Phil and I had our Critical Theory exam on Friday the 15th, which was honestly easier than I thought it would be, but let's see what I get on it, that may have been a fatal misperception. I honestly have no idea what to expect.

After the exam, I went and bought beer glasses with Phil and planned to hang out with Marianne. Phil was going to some kind of lecture, but once a more relaxing alternative presented itself, he was easily dissuaded. So we're on our way back from the grocery store and we happen upon the christmas market that had completely taken over the Ladueze- and Hoover-pleins. I had never had the traditional gluhwein (sp?) or the genever (sp?) which is an original Belgian gin liquor, OR for that matter had the christmasy sausage sandwiches. So we stopped and had all three, to very pleasant effect I must say. I was utterly relaxed, though I did prefer the cherry genever to the mulled wine stuff, wine and I have never really liked each other.

We had plans to go out to dinner with Dave, and we convinced Phil to come (though he took a stonecold nap beforehand) and we called Cordelia, and Charles came with Dave, so really, by the time we got to the restaurant it was quite a party! The restaraunt (Muy Sapore) is really nice, the first time Marianne and I went there they treated us like queens because we were friends with Dave. It's Italian and Asian together on one menu, so there's something for everyone. We ended up staying up pretty late that night, went back to the christmas market just before it closed.

So that was Friday. Saturday morning Marianne, Mark and I went to Namur (the capital of Wallonia = French Belgium) on Mark's invitation to go to the best patisserie in all of Europe. It was indeed, quite spectacular. Like those dessert houses you see in period pictures about the aristocracy. We wandered around, I bought a new (blue) scarf, we went into this beautiful cathedral and made fart jokes (God better have a sense of humor). We also hiked up to this huge fort overlooking the city, which was something else. It was pissing rain though, and although I had an umbrella my boots were sodden by the time we left. I only have a few pictures, and none of them scenic, there was too much wet. I'll upload them when Photobucket decides to work again.

So yeah, those were two very full days. I had a few classes this week, that wasn't bad. I'm sad some of them are over, but I'm excited about only having two days of class scheduled next semester.

Have a happy break/religious holiday!

Cake

No comments: